Football FridayNovember 4th, 2005 at 12:37 pm by Preston Taylor Holmes
It’s been a rough week here on top of ol’ Rocky Top. There’s been much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Even Randy Sanders has finally fallen on the sword for The Great Pumpkin’s piss-poor offense and institution-wide lack of discipline. A trip to South Bend to face Charlie Weis’ Fighting Irish is not just what the doctor ordered.
Cougar Scott must be creaming his jeans with the toothless Vols coming to town this week to be sacrificed on top of the Golden Dome.
The Irish are going to DDT the hapless Vols, 34-17. And I’m not sure Tennessee will be able to muster 17 points. Since Fulmer has made it clear that “play calling this week will be a group effort” – setting up yet another loophole for himself to avoid accountability for lack of production – you can expect more inefficiency, more mistakes and continued embarrassment throughout the rest of the season.
Elsewhere in semi-pro ball (where I went 1-for-5 last week, ugh):
- Va Tech 30 Miami 27 – This should be a good game. Va Tech will squeak this one out, keeping the BCS a nasty mess.
- Penn State 33 Wisconsin 23 – Penn State is actually going to have a shot at the Big Ten title for the first time in forever, and that will be plenty of motivation.
- Florida 22 Vandy 14 – The Commode-dores will keep it close, but will falter in the end due to their high I.Q.s.
- Arkansas 26 South Carolina 14 – Big let down for the Gamecocks after last week’s vanquishing of the Vols.
In the pros last week, I did go 4/5, which is respectable. The Titans, however, are less and less respectable each week. It seems like they hang in there, then derail late in the game. Tragic. This week, they fall to Brian Sipe and the Cleveland Browns, 24 – 14.
- Patriots 27 Colts 24 – This is one of those rare times when I’m actually going to sit down and watch a Monday Night Football game in its entirety. Should be outstanding, but the Colts are due a loss, so here it is.
- Steelers 26 Pack 12 – Even with Charlie Batch playing, the Steelers should be able to win this one with ball-control offense and solid defense, of which they have plenty.
- Carolina 29 Tampa Bay 17 – Without Doug Robinson at QB, the Bucs don’t have a prayer.
- Philly 31 Washington 20 – The real question here is can T.O. keep is big fat mouth shut long enough to play a football game? I hope that Owens has a season-ending injury during this game so that I won’t have to listen to his ignunt ass for the rest of the season.