It’s time again for Florida week. Things are not coming up roses in Big Orange Country, primarily due to the jackassery of the previous Vol regime.
First of all, and let’s face it, The Great Pumpkin left the UT football program in a state of disarray with marginal lower-level SEC talent and no discipline. When your best option at QB is Crompton, who, by all accounts is a good kid, you’re just not ready to challenge the Floridas, Alabamas and LSUs of the league. You’re not even ready to challenge the South Carolinas and Ole Misses of the league. Crompton simply can’t get it done and if Stephens can’t beat him out, we’re left with few options. (And shave that ridiculous facial hair, Crompton. You are not a member of N’Sync or NKOTB, no matter how much you fantasize about it.)
However, on the bright side, this coaching staff is taking no prisoners (heh, pun intended) when it comes to recruiting and we are looking at a serious SEC contender when 2011, 2012 roll around. Unfortunately, by then our entire economy and society will have collapsed and we won’t even be playing football, but I digress.
Speaking of the Great Pumpkin, he went down to the Daytona Beach QB club and showed what a classless, narcissistic turd he really is. Apparently he is still “P.O.’d” at what the meanies at UT did to him by giving him 6-freaking-million dollars to just go away. And he can’t even get that done. Look up classless in the dictionary and you’ll find Fulmer.
It was just two years ago that Fulmer, who posted a 152-52 record in 17 seasons as the head Volunteer, was given a contract extension by his alma mater.
Less than 10 months ago he stepped down as Tennessee’s head coach, but not necessarily willingly. UT fans and administration had become restless, and in early November he agreed to step away at the end of the season.
“I’m still PO’d to say the least. There’s probably a couple of people there that I’m not going to invite to Christmas dinner any time soon,” Fulmer said. “I’ve chosen the best I can to take the high road. I really love Tennessee, so let there be no doubt about that. It’s very much a part of me.”
Yeah, he’s chosen to take the high road by hanging around and bitching about how hard it is to decide how to spend that 6-million while sitting on his ass. Is taking the high road taking shots at Kiffin through every possible media outlet and bragging about what “great” shape he left the program in? Me no thinky so.
In fact, just five days before new coach Lane Kiffin brings his Volunteers to “The Swamp,” Fulmer said he could relate with the plight that faces Florida’s Meyer.
“(Meyer’s) doing something that I did,” Fulmer said. “You create something that’s unachievable every year. That’s certainly what he’s done from that point.”
Um, there’s another example of his complete inability to grasp reality. Meyer has dominated the game for the last several years. UT won one national championship – in spite of, not because of – its coaching staff. Al Wilson was the coach of that ’98 team and anyone paying attention understood that.
It’s time for Phil to head off into the sunset – perhaps coaching at New Mexico or even Wyoming, the school he couldn’t beat last year. Let us enjoy the excitement of rebuilding the program that you ran into the ground.
Speaking of the GATA, it’s time to take another look at that brilliant Congresswoman from the Gainesville area, Corrine Brown. She is a shining example of GATA greatness as well as one of the reasons our government is a gigantic shitpie. With representatives like this, maybe you don’t WANT them to read the bill. Go Gata!
The cupboard is bare, but I believe this coaching staff will get this team to sell out on Saturday. It won’t be enough, but as long as we smash them in the mouth a few times, that works for me. Gata 31 Vol 14
- Texas 38 Texas Tech 28 – Texas will take revenge on the Red Raiders after what happened last year. Plus they have those cool looking longhorns on their helmets. Is Marshall Applewhite still their QB?
- Georgia 29 Arkansas 14 – My dad once told me (well, more than once) that the only good thing to come out of Arkansas was an empty Greyhound bus.
- Kentucky 27 Louisville 24 – After the game, all the players will get together and smoke some bluegrass.
- Nebraska 24 Va Tech 22 – Vinnie’s Cornhuskers look to be on the rebound. I like them to continue Va Tech’s early season misery.
If you watched the Titans/Steelers game last week, you were treated to an epic battle of superior defensive play and blood and guts football. I wasn’t too disappointed to lose a close one to the Super Bowl champs – hopefully this will give the Titans some early inspiration to work even harder to improve going forward. I like the Titans to rebound this week over the Texans, 28 – 17.
- Giants 24 Cowpokes 20 – It feels like the late 80′s/early 90′s again with meaningful Giants/Cowboys games. I like the Giants D to squash Romo and Co.
- Colts 34 Fish 10 – You would be surprised at how many people around here are Colts fans just cuz ol’ PAAAAAAAAAYTON plays for them. That only makes me root against them on principle. No luck this week.
- Minnesota 44 Detroit 2 – Brett Favre is currently the leading douchebag in all of sports (with Michael Jordan a close second). I hope Detroit at least gets some good shots in on him.
- Steelers 24 Bears 14 – Da Bears will be pounded down like so much tenderloin by the Steelers’ defense. There will be blood.
And, no, Nigel, I haven’t forgotten our bet. I’ll make good next week.